Chris Dyson has defied death many times. Despite incredible odds stacked against him, he has always followed his passion and done what he felt was right. He is a man with vision and perseverance.
He is passionate about hockey — specifically, goaltending. He believes enjoyment of the game for minor hockey-aged goalies is paramount, and that this can be achieved by developing better skills, which will inspire confidence through improved play.
Chris’ mission is to change the game of hockey from the grassroots up, by providing coaches with the tools and knowledge to properly help their goaltenders and keep the game fun for everyone.
For nearly 30 years, Chris has instructed students from over 18 countries, presenting Puckstoppers Goalie Schools in Europe, USA, and Canada. He has received accreditation for his professional coaching skills and personally instructed literally thousands of goaltenders, parents, and coaches.
As a Goalie Coach/Consultant, Chris has seen many disheartening situations, involving well-meaning coaches who lack knowledge and understanding of the very skills they are trying to teach to impressionable young goaltenders.
Far too often, he has been witness to goaltenders whose confidence and enthusiasm have been destroyed by “pseudo-goalie coaches.” The biggest disappointment is when goalies quit the game they love because of coaches’ actions and misdirection.
For many years, Chris and Puckstoppers (his goalie training company) have offered free seminars to minor hockey coaches in an effort to help educate and eliminate this situation.
Mr. Dyson is now on a personal mission to develop an awareness of proper goaltender training throughout minor hockey, with a goal of achieving 100% compliance for all coaches to learn and understand the Essential Core Goaltending Skills (ECGs).
- Founded Puckstoppers Goaltending Service & Schools in 1988 — now one of the longest-running goalie training services in the world.
- Invited by the Finnish Ice Hockey Federation to conduct several schools and goalie clinics throughout Finland.
- Consulted with many hockey organizations to develop clinics, schools, and coaches.
- Accredited by Coaches Training Institute & International Coaches Federation with MC/ACTP designation.
- Conducted dozens of radio and television interviews and appearances to discuss goaltending and hockey.
- Profiled in Canada-wide television feature on CBC.
- Featured in over two dozen news stories on proper goalie coaching, in various mediums.
- Authored several published articles and white papers on goaltending.
- Invited to attend Wayne Gretzky’s inauguration into the Hockey Hall of Fame.
- Appointed as Head Coach for many teams from minor hockey through Junior, with multiple Championships.
- Elected to the Board of Directors for several hockey Associations and businesses.
- Worked as Head Goalie Equipment Buyer and Advisor for the largest sports buying group in Canada.
- Created the largest goalie-specific catalogue in the world.
- Consulted regularly with major manufacturers to design and engineer new lines of goaltending equipme.
- Hired as game analyst, goaltending consultant, and colour commentator for live radio broadcasts.
- Served as Mentor and Consultant to several businesses.
- Survived major heart surgeries and an unprecedented number of cardiac arrests in early childhood.
- Happily married for nearly 30 years with 3 great children.